My first Blog with the new WordPress format so I hope it turns out ok I find it a bit hard to change stuff on this format. Must be set in my ways with the old format.
The Obvious first activation for 2021 was a New Years roll over event so VK5/SE-013 Mt Gawler was the closest 1 point summit to visit New Years Morning. Adam VK2YK/5 came out to meet up for the first time and activate with me which was great to have some company. Couldn’t find any photos for this one but I remember it being a warm morning with no shade in my set up posy so I did not stay on the summit long but did manage to work enough stations either side of UTC 00:00 to get two activations for the one trip. Before roll over I had 8 QSO with some local vk5 chasers on 80m SSB then 3 Summit 2 Summit contacts into vk3 on 40m CW, then after roll over scraping in with 5 QSO being 2 on 80m SSB and 3 QSO on 40m CW with a bonus 2 S2S in that lot.
Checking back in my SOTA logbook I remember it being a very pleasant 26c day on 6th February so I decided to make the long hike to The Battery summit VK5/NE-055. This is a good 11km hike round trip and a good training hike for the rest of my season as it is not a slog really to get there and back as I follow a fire track which runs along the top of the Range. Not a lot of altitude gain on this one in spite of the 5.5 km distance to walk there, with only a short gully to cross through then the climb up to the Battery summit track close to the set up point.
I had a nice group of chasers this time with 5 QSO on 80m SSB from the locals then a quick fire round of 5 S2S with VK3 Activators on 40m CW, then 3 other CW QSO on 40m CW before changing to 40m SSB and finding another 6 QSO there with another S2S with VK4 which is quite rare these days. Resetting the link dipole to 20m only netted ZL1BYZ on CW so I set up my new link dipole for the higher bands and worked some DX to ZL W6 and JA with another S2S with old mate JP1DGT on JA/KT-017, all on the 17m band. No answer to my CW on 15m I decided it was a good score anyhow so set off back to the SOTA transporter for lunch and coffee on the tailboard of my Ute which is common practice for me. This summit hike is a good one to push the hiking pace for some quality miles in the legs so My hike time was 1hour 20 minutes there and 1 hour 30 minutes return not bad for an old fella.
Sorry Folks still no photos but my next outing was another nice cool morning snd the Wife and Hounds came for a day out this time to Hallett Hill VK5/SE-003.
This activation was a bit different I decided seeing the higher bands have been open and there were a few JA activators out on this day I would try some DX before Roll over then make it a bit more normal activation after roll over. I first put up the 3 band link dipole for 20m 17m 15m and listening to the beacons 17m seemed to be working best to JA so I started there. Much to my surprise I got several VK chasers along with ZL1BYZ as well but the band did not disappoint I worked S2S with JR8MHA/6 on JA6/MZ-027 with good signal swaps both ways. After UTC roll over I put up my normal 20m 40m link dipole and extensions for 80m netted 5 80m QSO before switching to 40m CW with 4 QSO including a S2S with VK7LTD on VK7/WC-005. On 40m SSB I made 4 more QSO with a S2S with VK7FAMP also on VK7/WC-005. The last band to try was 20m CW and worked 4 ZL and VK3ARH as my last QSO for the day. A great day out , Rocky and Jack took a particular interest in a couple old Rabbit burrows in a rock pile near by the summit so that kept the hounds amused while we were there.
At last some pictures.
Hugh and I went to Mount Cone on the morning of 26th March to activate two Summits for the day.
The plan was to be there before UTC roll over and Hugh could activate on 80m with the locals and I would try for some DX on the higher bands. It worked out well but 15m was the best band this day with an S2S with ZL1BQD on ZL1/AK-014 and S2S with JP3DGT on JA/SI-019, then some other JA ZL chasers and a surprise call from K0RS.
So all went well before roll over Hugh had given all the locals a score for their logs and I was intending to do the same after UTC roll over but a big rain shower came across the valley and we quickly packed all the gear into our bags asap.
My bag and I got wet but I managed to get my gear in out of the rain, it looked like hanging around so we headed off to the next Summit for the day which was about an hours drive to Brown Hill Range.
We arrived at Brown Hill Range VK5/se-004 in good time and we were on air a bit before Alert time but sometimes its a bit hard to get those times right seeing we got rained out on the first one and did not spend the expected time there.
However SW3 is a handy tool and if the Chasers are on their game they will be watching and waiting anyhow.
On this summit Hugh and I stuck to the theme for the day Hugh worked the chasers on 80m and I set up the link dipole for the higher bands. After a quick QSO with VK5GY on Hugh’s rig I went to work on 17m CW netting VK2IO then 2 other JA stations then an S2S with JI3BAP on JA/OS-001 a 10 pointer.
Both 15m and 20m gave me several more QSO from VK ZL JA BX YC on CW so a very nice mixture of DX this time too which gives me some hope that the bands are going to only get better as the new cycle lifts in Sunspot numbers.
That was all I had for this Blog I must say now that I have had some more practice with WordPress its seems ok to use.
Thanks to all the chasers for giving Hugh and I a score on these summits, thanks to the land owners for access.
Thanks for reading my Blogs.
Regards Ian vk5cz ..